The people 23 considered June to be a very difficult day. They were sure that ghosts walk the Earth and confuse the living. This day was also called «Mouse Day». Cause? Often today people imagined hordes of mice on the threshing floors. Such a vision, of course, did not bode well. They said: “The signs of Timothy not only threaten with a thunderstorm!” Someone saw warriors flying between the clouds — there will be war. Flocks of crows flying over the village are a pestilence. On this day, they tried not to take out the garbage from the hut. Because if the wind blows and carries it to the neighbor’s house, then the world will no longer be seen. And for the children on this day, in general, an eye and an eye was needed. For example, if a child leaves a spoon open on the table, it means that a good harvest will not be seen this year. In other words, the slightest detail, which at other times would have been overlooked, became a prophecy on Timothy Day.
At the same time, 23 June it was customary to collect medicinal herbs, read self-folded prayers. In addition, they heated baths and prepared brooms for the whole year.
The Church today honors the memory of the martyr Timothy, who is also known as the Bishop of Prussia.
Signs for June are as follows:
- Stuffy weather at sunrise — to rain.
- Woodlouse blooms in the morning — to good weather.
- If in thunderstorms blue white clouds ran ahead — wait for the hail.
- At night and in the evening it is warmer in the forest, than in open areas, and in the lowlands it is cold — the weather will be good.
- On a fine day, ants cannot be seen — to be bad weather.
- Crows are hohling — to bad weather.
- Ducks, chickens and geese are plucked — to the rains.
- Chicken waving its tail — to wet weather.
- Spiders not visible — the weather will change.
- On willow leaves, droplets of sticky juice — to bad weather.
Name days are celebrated today by: Anna, Antonina, Alexei, Gerasim, Vasily, Makar, Ilya, Innokenty, Timofey, Andrey.