May 12 — Day of the Nine Martyrs. 11 healing herbs — from 77 wounds help
May 12 was considered the day of healers and healings. It was said that today all conspiracies work most effectively. In particular, they treated people affected by fevers. There was a legend:
- before creating a man, God drew his silhouette on the sand, but the Devil immediately appeared and made 77 holes in the figure in the form of wounds. And then God told the unclean that he would create 11 healing herbs from 77 wounds. Therefore, according to popular beliefs, a person can fall ill with 77 diseases and find a remedy for each of them. However, it was very important to collect the plants at a certain time, following some rules. May 12 is the day when it was possible to collect plants and prepare drugs based on them.
The Church today honors the memory of the nine martyrs. Their names are Theognis, Rufus, Antipater, Theostichus, Artem, Magnus, Theodotus, Fawmasius and Philemon. All of them defended the teachings of Christ at the end of the 3rd century AD. in the city of Cyzicus, which is located in Asia Minor on the banks of the Dardanelles (the territory of present-day Turkey). For their beliefs, they were brutally executed.
As for weather signs:
- The sunrise is bright and clear — the summer will be warm.
- The starry sky at night on May 12 — to a rich harvest.
- Ants are moving to a dry place today — soon it will rain.
- Many May beetles — wait for the drought.
- The cry of the oriole resembles a cat’s — soon it will rain.
- The birch spread its leaves before the alder — there will be a drought in summer, and vice versa.
- Lightning before the rain on May 12 — precipitation will go on for a long time.
Comments are closed.