May 20 — Bathing suit and the day of Ivan Brazhnik. We pour ourselves!
On the day of Ivan Brazhnik, people believed that water has a unique healing power. There was a custom: in the early morning of May 20, buckets of well water were exposed to the sun, and in the afternoon they were poured over with it. That is why the day was also called Bathhouse.
Sowing work continued on May 20. Pay attention to the «origin» of seedlings and seeds. It was said that stolen and alien (imported) seeds would yield better. Therefore, the hosts that day went to visit each other and slowly tried to take some seeds. Since everyone did this, no one was at a loss.
And another day was called Kupavnitsa. In honor of the flower that blooms during this period among still water, hiding from meadow flowers.
The church now honors the memory of St. Akakios. Born in Cappadocia in the family of a Christian priest. Under Emperor Maximian, he became a centurion of the Martisian regiment. During the persecution of Christians, Akaki openly confessed his faith in front of the military leader Firm. For this he was sent to Thrace, imprisoned and tortured. Then, together with other Christian prisoners, Akakiy was transferred to the city of Byzantium, where he was held in custody. By order of the proconsul Falkian, Akaki was beheaded with a sword in 303.
As for signs, then:
- Rainy day — September will be warm.
- Good weather on May 20 — you need to go to the sowing work to reap a rich harvest.
- At the month, the horns look down — to warm weather.
- Is the moon red? It will rain soon.
- At sunset on May 20, the sun is red and larger than usual — the weather will deteriorate soon.
- Multi-colored rays at sunrise — the weather will change for the worse.
- There is a lot of nectar and bees on the acacia in the morning — it will rain in the afternoon, and a thunderstorm may begin in the near future.
Comments are closed.