May was also popularly called the Day of St. Nicholas the Warm and the Day of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. This saint in Russia was very loved and revered. He was considered the protector of travelers and sailors, as well as married couples. In addition, they believed that the Miracle Worker especially favored small children and prevented fires.
Before May, everyone tried to give and feed the poor, so that throughout the year they themselves would not feel need for anything.
We tried not to swim in the river until 22 May, as it was considered a great sin.
And on the day of St. Nicholas of the spring, meadows were “ordered” — this was done with the help of twigs and branches, which were stuck into the ground in May, so that it was clear: cattle could not be grazed here.
The signs for the day are as follows:
- Is the morning foggy and wet? In order to add health and not get sick for a whole year, you need to wash yourself with fresh dew.
- Frogs croak loudly at Nikola — to a good harvest of oats.
- The alder blossomed — buckwheat needs to be sown 22 in May.
- It rains all day — to a cold and rainy summer.
- According to folk signs, on 22 May, it was necessary to plant potatoes on this day so that it would be born large and tasty.
Name days are celebrated today: Nikolai, Severin, Christopher, Akulina, Vasily, Gabriel, Dmitry, Joseph.