The week in which the day of November falls is called Friday week. In the old days, peasants decorated the icons of St. Paraskeva. It was said that they guard happiness in the house and help ensure the well-being of the family. Saint also 10 November prayed to people who suffer from serious illnesses. This was especially true for mental illnesses.
In addition, Saint Paraskeva, along with the Most Holy Theotokos, was considered the intercessor of all women, the savior in childbirth and in family troubles, and guarded the hearth. She was prayed for infertility, problems in marriage, difficulties in raising children, as well as for the healing of women’s and children’s diseases. All traditional women’s crafts (embroidery, spinning, cooking, sewing, knitting, washing, cleaning, etc.) were considered a kind of «sphere of influence» of St. Paraskeva. But! According to legend, she helps only kind and pious people who lead a righteous lifestyle.
And who is this Paraskeva? She lived on the territory of Asia Minor around the III-IV century. She was born into the family of a wealthy senator, but at the same time she independently decided to lead an ascetic life and turned to God. During the persecution organized by the emperor Diocletian against supporters of the Christian doctrine, Paraskeva was also arrested, tortured and beheaded, because she did not want to renounce her faith. The people began to combine the name of Paraskeva with the name of the goddess Pyatnitsa, who was considered the patroness of mothers and women.
The ancient Slavs revered 10 November the memory of the goddess Makosh, who is also the patroness of spinners, dressmakers and helps to achieve earthly happiness. In the old days, houses were prepared for winter in the first weeks of November. The cattle were transferred to winter stalls.
Signs of the day:
- The leaves from the cherry tree of November have not yet fallen — snow, even if it fell out, it will soon melt.
- If a person was born 10 in November, then his talisman is onyx.
- Whoever laughs a lot on this day, then, according to signs, he will cry for a long time. Therefore, we tried to behave with restraint.
- You can’t wash your hair, bathe, do laundry, and in general, do work that would be connected with water. However, if the child was ill, it was necessary to take him to the source in order to wash away the ailment.
- The first worn linen must be consecrated in the church.
- If your head or tooth hurts, you need to pray to Saint Paraskeva.
- You can’t clean the chimney on Paraskeva — this is unfortunately, according to signs.
- Pregnant a woman should not lend money on this day, because in this way she will give the fate of her child into the wrong hands.