September 18 is the day of Elizabeth the Foreteller and Zechariah. Fortune-telling, they say, is true …
18 September, our ancestors considered an unlucky day. But! They believed that today all fortune-telling and predictions are true, and therefore they communicated with fortune-tellers, healers and fortune-tellers with might and main. Especially when it came to the upcoming marriage and family life! So the crowds of unmarried girls went to the fortune tellers, who, for a nominal fee, told them about their fate. Often on this day, young people guessed on their own, during gatherings.
And 18 September, it was customary to heat the bathhouse and bathe in it in order to be healthy throughout the year.
The Church now honors the memory of Elizabeth and Zechariah, the parents of John the Baptist. According to tradition, Elizabeth was Mary’s cousin and lived with her husband in Hebron. Despite the long years of living together, the couple could not conceive a child until old age. Once Zechariah went into the desert, and there an angel appeared to him, who revealed to the elder that very soon they would have a child, who should be called John. The priest did not believe this, and the angel said that Zechariah would be left speechless until the birth of his son. And so it happened — Zechariah began to speak again when he took the baby John in his arms. At that time, persecution was constantly organized against Christians, and therefore, Elizabeth, along with her child, had to flee the city and hide in the desert for a long time. Zakharia was seized and demanded to tell where his relatives were. The priest did not say anything in response, and he was killed right in the temple. The legend says that after 40 days after that, Elizabeth died, and John was fed by an angel. By the way, it was Elizabeth who predicted the birth of Jesus by Mary.
Signs of the day:
- Mountain ash leaves turned yellow — winter will be early and cold.
- A rich harvest of wild mountain ash — by rainy autumn. If the mountain ash almost does not bear fruit in the forests, the whole autumn will be dry.
- It is impossible to wash clothes on this day so that the fever does not attack. ) The poor should not be served either.
- In the bathhouse on this day with a birch broom, take a steam bath — expel any ailment from yourself.
- If 18 September, the person still fell ill, you need to catch a spider, put it in a nut shell, wrap it with a cloth and hang such an “amulet” around your neck. It is believed that a spider in a shell entangles an evil fever with its web.
- If a child suddenly falls ill, you need to put a doll without a face in his crib (you can do it yourself). The toy will take over the disease, and the baby will recover.
- Anyone who was born on this day will inherit witchcraft spells from higher powers. Not a single disease will take him!
- Those born on this day do not get along at home (they grow up as travelers, vagabonds, their work will be associated with frequent business trips, etc.). Also, such people made excellent shepherds.
- Whoever swears on this day and does not keep his word will die soon.
Name days are celebrated today by: Athanasius, Alexei, Zakhar, Gleb, Maxim, David, Fedor, Elizabeth, Iraida, Raisa.